Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Quest for megafauna:

Ever since I was a little kid growing up in Idaho, I have always loved collecting cool rock. But what fascinated me even more, was the idea of rocks with the remains of creatures that lived millions of years ago. However, when I moved to Florida, I was understandably somewhat depressed. Because not only does Florida not have dinosaur remains, but it doesn't even have cool rocks.
    But it wasn't until last year that I learned that although FL doesn't have dino remains, it does have a treasure trove of fossils from other prehistoric eras. Last week me and Vikki took a trip up to the peace river, which is famous for its fossils. The water levels were very low, so we could easily stand in the middle of the river and screen wash the black gravel bottom. Which is full of broken pieces of bone and the occasional whole fossil. That day we found several large fossilized dugong rib bones as well as a reasonably large megalodon shark.
Attached are some pictures from a diving trip off of Venice beach...can't wait to go back:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment