Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bunche Beach cleanup

On September 18th, I helped out at the international coastal cleanup day, held at Bunche Beach near Sanibel. I have attended one other coastal cleanup day, many years ago at my home in Englewood. And I remember being amazed by the immense amount of junk that people pulled out of the mangroves. However, Bunche Beach was a different story. Although it is a beautiful preserve, its not really the best place to hold a clean up; as most of the beach is spotless. I did however, discover the most evil plant in all of Florida. A vine covered with backwards facing spines, that allows you to easily work your way deep into the brush, but tears at your clothes and flesh if you try to leave. But really, overall it was a great day, and the group as a whole managed to collect several hundred pounds of trash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment