Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The battle with student government:

As I mentioned before I am part of the Eco-Action club on campus. Recently we changed our classification from an honors service club, to a registered student organization, which meant basically that we were open to all students and that we could petition funds from student government. As treasurer of the club, it was up to me and the president to learn the process of submitting a funding bill before student senate. It wasn't long into the process that I learned how miserably miss-represented the students of FGCU are by their student government.     
   Not only are 98% of the senators part of a fraternity or sorority. But there was literally only one senator who had any affiliation with a field of science; and that was only with a bio minor. As my friend Sarah said, after attending a senate meeting (quoting Zizek) "I am burdened with the truth."
      Because of what I saw, I was driven to apply to fill an empty senate space. My interview question was
"If I could compare my personality to any flavor of ice cream, what would it be?" REALLY...our student government, which controls 3 million dollars, acts like a high school cheer-leading team!!!! After that, I was not surprised that the sorority girl running against, me got the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment